Fun Things to Do While Travel Nursing
By: Kimberlee Hodges, Marketing Communications Manager
Travel nursing can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Working at several hospitals throughout the country each year can provide you with a vast amount of on the job experience that you may not be able to gain if you were to stay local. Not to mention the opportunities for travel and new friendships that will arise while working at different hospitals throughout the year. In the same light; however, travel nursing can be difficult as you will be away from home, friends, and family for extended amounts of time throughout the year. Staying busy during downtime and utilizing your free time to explore can be a good way to help transition into a new job and location.
Each travel assignment will vary but below is a list of activities to help discover fun things to do while on assignment:
- The website for the city that you will be working in is a good place to start looking for activities in your area. City websites will often have a list of interesting things to do in that city.
- Explore the great outdoors! Outdoor activities are endless at any time of year. You could go skiing or snow tubing in the winter months or hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, or rock climbing at warmer times of the year.
- Take a tour of the city. Find out if there are any historical sites in your area and take a site-seeing tour.
- Attend a local concert or sporting event.
- Join a gym or local fitness center.
- Take advantage of any group yoga or exercise classes that they may offer. Many gyms will offer a free trial membership which may work with a temporary assignment.
- Go Shopping! Visit local shopping centers and boutiques.
- Enjoy local cuisine. With every new location that you work in, you'll have the opportunity to discover unique local cuisine and dining opportunities that only locals may know about.
This short list of ideas should be enough to get you started on your adventure but don't be afraid to try new things so that you are able to get the most out of your travel experience.